Days Out By Rail
2021 has become the year of the staycation, and according to recent figures from VisitBritain¹, it is the year in which £51.4 billion will be spent on domestic tourism within the UK.
Hopefully you’ve already spotted some of our videos we created showcasing some of our favourite landmarks and destinations that you can spot from the comfort of your seat as you travel along our route? If not, they’re definitely worth a watch and we’ve broken them down by journey, including Sunderland to York, York to London Kings Cross, Doncaster to London Kings Cross, and Sunderland to London Kings Cross.
Following the release of our ‘Take the Scenic Route’ videos, we wanted to continue with our mission to encourage the nation get back on board our trains and to explore all that our country has to offer within the coming months. With this in mind, we’ve been compiling a selection of top attractions that are within a twenty-minute walk of a number of some of our station stops (including some of our favourites!), just in case you’re looking for some additional inspiration this summer! Our top tips and handy downloadable guides can be found by visiting:
Alongside this, we’ve also quizzed the nation to find out more about the days out they love and what their plans are for domestic exploration in the coming months and years. Visit ‘The Nation’s Favourite Days Out’ to find out more!
Although restrictions have eased, we understand that staying safe whilst travelling might still be cause for concern for many. To ensure the peace of mind of all those travelling with us, whilst masks are still no longer required by law, we do still ask that customers please wear a face covering out of respect for others, unless exempt.
For those planning on taking a trip with us, the good news is that it's even easier for you to plan ahead and take advantage of our lowest fares, with bookings available up to six months in advance. Plus, you can book with confidence knowing that if your plans change, you can change your ticket free of any fees before 31st December 2021.
Further information about travelling with Grand Central and the measures we’re delivering to help our customers to travel with confidence, can all be found in our Travel Updates hub.
Wishing You Exciting Adventures!
Wherever your adventures may take you in the coming months, we hope that our city attraction guides help to inspire your travels. With so many exciting destinations dotted across the country, you’ll certainly be spoilt for choice.
We’re really looking forward to welcoming you onboard our trains, and we can’t wait to help you find some memorable and inspiring days out!
- ¹ 2021 Tourism Forecast, Visit Britain (https://www.visitbritain.org/2021-tourism-forecast)
- The best things to do in Doncaster, Tripadvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187067-Activities-Doncaster_South_Yorkshire_England.html)
- The best things to do near King's Cross, Tripadvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionsNear-g186338-d188726-King_s_Cross-London_England.html)
- Movies filmed at King's Cross station, Movie Maps (https://moviemaps.org/locations/b7)
- Things to do in Halifax, Tripadvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g190786-Activities-Halifax_West_Yorkshire_England.html)
- Halifax, Filmed in Yorkshire (https://filmedinyorkshire.co.uk/locations/halifax/)
- Things to do in Bradford, Tripadvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186408-Activities-a_allAttractions.true Bradford_West_Yorkshire_England.html)
- Bradford, Filmed in Yorkshire (https://filmedinyorkshire.co.uk/locations/bradford/)
- York landmarks, Tripadvisory (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186346-Activities-c47-a_allAttractions.true-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html)
- York, Filmed in Yorkshire (https://filmedinyorkshire.co.uk/locations/york/)
- Explore Sunderland, Tripadvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g227059-Sunderland_Tyne_and_Wear_England-Vacations.html)
Ideas and articles about seasonal travel with Grand Central
How you and your family can get the most out of Grand Central's services between London and the North.
Beyond the journey - where can Grand Central take you?
For business travellers interested in maximising their usage of Grand Central and rail