Are you planning a visit to Wakefield Kirkgate? Whether you’re visiting family or passing through on your way to the city, you’ll find everything you need for a comfortable trip at Wakefield train station.
There’s a range of facilities that are designed to make sure that your journey is comfortable and fuss-free here. Plus, with its handy connections to major cities like London and Leeds, your travel from Wakefield rail station is the perfect way to get to your destination as conveniently as possible.
Whatever journey you’re on, Grand Central Wakefield trains are dedicated to getting you where you need to be. They’ll do it in style too, thanks to the onboard services and amenities. Better yet, the budget-friendly fares available mean that you can make the most out of your train journey.
To learn more about Wakefield train station, read our comprehensive guide below, including key information about the station and onboard facilities, plus the ticket types that are available. Here’s everything you need to know before you travel. If you can't find the information your looking for, you can head to the National Rail Enquiries website for further information.
Where is Wakefield Kirkgate station?
Wakefield Kirkgate rail station is just a short walk away from Wakefield city centre, where you can enjoy the retail outlets and restaurants that Trinity Walk shopping centre has to offer. Including stores such as Pandora, H&M, and River Island, this is the perfect place to do some shopping and stop off for a bite to eat.
Wakefield is also known for its attractions. If you’re wanting to enjoy the Yorkshire landscape, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park is located just a 15-minute drive from Wakefield train station. And for those hoping to grab tickets to a show, Wakefield’s Theatre Royal is just a 14-minute walk from Kirkgate station.
Where do I catch my train?
While at Wakefield train station, it can be helpful to know the layout so you can find your platform without any fuss. There are three platforms here:
- Platform 1 is located next to the station and is easily accessible from the station’s entrance.
- To access Platforms 2 and 3, you’ll need to follow the subway tunnel. Its entrance is located on Platform 1.
What services and facilities are there at Wakefield train station?
Wakefield Kirkgate Train Station
Wakefield Kirkgate station
Ticket office opening hours:
- NO Waiting room
- YES Ticket machine
- NO Toilet
- NO Impaired Access Staff
- Accessible Public Telephones No
- Accessible Taxis No
- First Class Lounge YES Yes
- Help Points YES Yes
- Impaired Accessible Booking Office Counter No
- Impared Access Staff No
- Impared Access Ticket Gate No
- Impaired Accessible Ticket Machines YES Yes
- Induction Loop No
- Impaired Mobility Set Down No
- National Key Toilets No
- Ramp for Train Access YES Yes
- Wheel chairs Available No
- Impaired Access Helpline Hours Monday - Sunday - open 24h
You can pre arrange an accessible taxi by calling customer experience Tel: 08002006060
- Helpline YES Yes
Helpline Contact Details
0800 138 5560 text relay 18001 0800 138 5560
- Helpline Contact URL https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Impared Mobility Set Down
No designated area is provided. The station front may be used for set down purposes.
Step Free Access
- Category A Station
- Scooter Friendly Station
- Station is unstaffed
- Please note there are no tactile pavings at this station
However no access problems for mobility impaired or elderly customers as the access to the platforms is via ramped subway.
To find our more about travelling around this station, please see the 360 map click here
Coverage: whole Station
- Step Free Access Coverage Whole Station
- Availability No
Ticketing Services & Information
- Oyster Pre-Pay No
- Pre-Purchase Collection YES Yes
- Ticket Machine YES Yes
- Penalty Fares NT
Smartcard Issued: Yes
Smartcard Validator: No
More information at www.northernrailway.co.uk/smart
- Metro: Availability No
- ATM No
- Baby Change No
- Bureau De Change No
- Lost Property YES Yes
- Post Box No
- Shops No
- Seated Area No
- Station Buffet YES Yes
- Showers No
- Trolley No
- Wifi No
- Waiting Room No
Phone number: 08002006060
- Lost Property: URL https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
- Lost Property Number 8002006060
- Staffing Level YES Yes
Station Location & Directions
- Latitude 53.67898718
- Longitude -1.488256596
- Toilets No
- Baby Change No
Car Parking Details
Phone number: 0800 200 6060
Operator Name: Northern
Name: Carpark is now open as of 29th August 2015
Season Tickets available from the Travel Centre at Leeds City Station
Number Accessible Spaces: 6
Accessible Car Park Equipment: Yes
Monday - Friday - open 24h
Saturday - open 24h
Sunday - open 24h
- Car Parking Details Phone number: 0800 200 6060
Phones, Internet & Wi-fi
- Station Amenities: Telephone No
- Web Kiosk: Available No
- Station Amenities: Wi-Fi Find WiFi Hotspots around Wakefield Kirkgate station (http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com)
- Telephone: Usage Type Cards And Coins
- Cycle Hire YES Yes
Rail Replacement Services
Pick Up / Drop Off outside the station entrance.
- Tourist Information Office No
- Waiting Room No
Waiting Room Note
There are no waiting rooms provided at the station. Shelters are provided on both platforms
Dining and Shopping
- Dining & Shopping: Shops No
- Dining & Shopping: Station Buffet YES Yes
- Availability YES Yes
- Closed Circuit TV YES Yes
- Cycle Hire: Note Cycle Technologywww.cycletechnology.co.uk 01924 311234
Cycle racks available in the station car park
- Sheltered no
- Spaces 6
- Type Lockers
- Bus Service: Availability YES Yes
- Bus Service: Note (http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus) Arriva and First both operate a network of frequent local bus routes around Wakefield and west Yorkshire . For route maps and timetables: www.arrivabus.co.uk (http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/) and www.firstgroup.com/ukbus (http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus) Buy a Wakefield PLUSBUS ticket with your train ticket, for discount price unlimited bus travel around the city. For details: www.plusbus.info (http://www.plusbus.info/) The FreeCityBus service links Wakefield Kirkgate rail station with Wakefield Westgate station, the main Bus Station and various attractions in the town centre. For information about all buses in west Yorkshire visit: www.wymetro.com (http://www.wymetro.com/)
- Left Luggage: Available No
- Left Luggage: URL https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Alternative Station Code
- National Location Code WKK
- Sixteen Character Name WAKEFIELD KIRKGT
Where can I park?
Wakefield train station has a car park next to its entrance that has 43 available car parking spaces and six accessible spaces that are available Monday to Sunday, 24 hours a day.
Wakefield station also comes equipped with cycling storage, which is located on Platform 1.
Travelling from Wakefield station with Grand Central
What facilities are on board Grand Central trains?
For a comfortable and relaxing train journey, you can take advantage of our range of excellent onboard facilities. On your Wakefield train, you can enjoy the free Wi-Fi available across all carriages throughout your entire journey. You can relax with some music, check your emails, or listen to an audiobook all the way to your destination.
If you have comfort in mind when travelling, we offer First Class and business travel on many services. You can take advantage of the reclining seats, extra leg room, and convenient at-seat service, making it a perfect choice no matter if you want to work or relax.
If you’re in the mood for a bite to eat during your travels, you can order a selection of snacks and refreshments from our onboard menu. Take your pick from sandwiches, hot drinks, and sweet treats.
How do I find and book Grand Central trains at Wakefield Kirkgate station?
If you’re looking to find Grand Central services to and from Wakefield Kirkgate rail station, use our journey planner to decide what train you want to travel on. The easiest way to view our train services is to look out for the logo. When you’ve found the journey you need, follow the steps and complete the booking process by providing your travel details.
After selecting a time and fare that suits you, you’ll be asked how you would like to receive your tickets. You can opt to collect them from the ticket machines at the station on the day you’re travelling. Alternatively, you can receive them via e-ticket or post.
If you choose an Advance fare, we’ll automatically reserve a seat for you, free of charge. For Anytime fares, the booking system will ask you to choose whether you’d like to make a seat reservation.
Finally, hit the ‘Continue’ button to double-check your journey details and move to the checkout page. Follow the instructions and you’ll be booked onto your Wakefield train.
Wakefield train station FAQs
How often do trains run from Wakefield station?
Our Wakefield trains to London run once a day on weekdays and Saturdays, departing at 11:14. Be sure to download or print our train timetable so you can stay updated about the latest arrivals and departures.
How accessible is Wakefield Kirkgate train station?
This station has Category A step-free access to all platforms, with ramps available for all train access. It’s also scooter friendly.
While Wakefield Kirkgate station may be unstaffed, the Impaired Access Helpline is available Monday to Sunday, 24 hours a day in case of any emergencies or queries. Feel free to contact the helpline on 0800 138 5560 (text relay 18001 0800 138 5560) to enquire about any specific access requirements.
Wakefield station is home to Grand Central’s First Class Lounge, which can be enjoyed by First Class Ticket holders from any train company. Here you can enjoy free Wi-Fi and a 10% discount on most food and drink items from Taste Buds coffee shop while you wait for your journey to begin.
Live train arrivals and departures
Get real-time updates on arrivals and departures. This information about your Wakefield trains is provided by National Rail Enquiries, using the latest data from across the entire rail network.
Discover our range of ticket types and find the best fares for your journey
Find out more about the most popular destinations on our network
Look for planned changes to timetables on the dates you are due to travel
Discover the most popular routes on our network and plan your next journey