Buy tickets to anywhere in Great Britain
Great value Advance fares
Get tickets for less with Grand Central Advance tickets, our best value yet - available up to 12 weeks in advance between London and any of our calling points in Yorkshire and North East.
Remember to book early as these fares are only available in advance of travel and there are a limited number for each service available.
Buy tickets today using the search panel or call 0345 603 4852 (option 3)
On This Page
- Advance ticket overview
- When and where the ticket can be used
- Conditions of use
- Break of journey
Advance ticket overview
Advance fare tickets are single (one-way) tickets for selected journeys available in First Class and Standard class, offering the best available price for each journey.
Tickets must be purchased in advance of travel. They are sold in limited numbers and so subject to availability.
- Standard Class: Child discounts, 16-25, 26-30, Family & Friends, Senior, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcards discounts apply.
- First Class: Child discounts, 16-25, 26-30, Senior, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcards discounts apply.
When and where the ticket can be used
- Tickets are valid ONLY on the date and train service(s) shown on the ticket(s).
- Where applicable, you must travel in the Class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s).
- Tickets may only be used on the services of the Train Company (or geographic route where applicable) shown next to ‘Route’ on the ticket.
- If the ‘Route’ also states ‘and Connections’, travel is allowed on appropriate connecting trains where shown on the ticket(s) or other valid travel itinerary.
- If the route is prefixed with a +, the ticket includes the cost of travelling across London on London Underground, London Overground, Docklands Light Railway, TfL Rail or Thameslink services as appropriate to the journey.
Conditions of use
- You must be at the departure station shown on your ticket in good time to catch the train. If you miss the first train on which you are booked for any reason, a new ticket must be purchased.
- If delays occur while travelling, you will be allowed to take the next available train(s) to complete your journey.
- Railcard holders travelling on a discounted ticket must carry their Railcard when they travel. If a Railcard holder fails to produce a valid Railcard with their ticket, a new ticket must be purchased as if no Railcard and/or no ticket were held.
- All First Class ticket holders (Grand Central or other operators, Advance or otherwise) are welcome in our Wakefield Kirkgate First Class lounge. Grand Central ticket holders are not able to use the First Class Lounges at London Kings Cross or Doncaster.
Break of journey
You may not start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station except to change to/from connecting trains as shown on the ticket(s) or other valid travel itinerary.
- Changing the time or date of travel
- Changes to time or date of travel must be arranged before departure of the first reserved train printed on the ticket, after which the ticket has no value and a new one must be purchased. You will need to present the ticket(s) and reservation(s) when you request a change.
- Changes to tickets cannot be made on-board the train. If you board a train without a ticket and reservation for that service, a new ticket must be purchased. Depending on the Train Company you are travelling with, you may be liable to a Penalty Fare if you board the train with an invalid ticket.
- The origin, destination and Train Company or route shown on the ticket(s) must remain the same.
- The difference between the price paid and cost of the next suitable fare for your journey is payable. If you change to a train on which a cheaper fare is available, the difference will not be refunded. The £10 administration fee for this service is currently suspended.
- You cannot refund an Advance ticket
- If your ticket is for a service between November 7 and December 2 2020, you can claim a full refund.
- Additionally, Advance tickets have been made changeable due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, to allow for flexibility in travel.
- If the train you purchased a ticket for is cancelled or delayed by more than 60 minutes, special arrangements will be made to accommodate you on another train (although a seat cannot be guaranteed). If, as a result, you decide not to travel, a refund will be offered on completely unused tickets and you will not be charged an administration fee.