Refunds & compensation
- If you have opted not to take your journey
Advance tickets are non-refundable, unless the service for which they were valid for is disrupted or has its service amended and, as a result, you choose not to travel, you can receive a full refund from your point of purchase.
You will need to provide your booking reference number (begining B-GRANDCNTRL or MOTO) and a photograph of your tickets cut or torn in half to demonstrate they are invalid.
If you purchased your tickets from Grand Central, please contact our Customer Relations team
Anytime, Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak tickets
- If you have purchased an Off-peak or Anytime ticket from grandcentralrail.com, you can refund your tickets without an admin fee via My Account (not available for e-tickets); by contacting our Refunds team via email at [email protected], attaching your booking reference number (begining B-GRANDCNTRL or MOTO) and a scanned copy of your tickets; or by contacting us at 0345 603 4852 (option 3, then option 2).
- Please make sure that your address is included in your e-mail when applying for a refund or compensation.
- If you bought your tickets from the Grand Central website, please follow the instructions above to process a refund. Alternatively send your original tickets to:
- Grand Central Refunds
- PO Box 6625
- DD11 3RQ
- You can also send a photograph of your tickets cut or torn in half to [email protected].
- Ticket refunds are subject to a 28 day time limit from date of travel.
- We would recommend you send the tickets recorded delivery, this is because we do not accept liability for lost or damaged tickets.
- If you have not received it after 10 working days, please contact the booking support team on option 3, then 2 using the above number.
- Please note the standard admin fee of £10 is currently being waived due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- If you are claiming for a journey you have already taken, click here
If you are delayed over 60 minutes while travelling on a Grand Central train, you are entitled to compensation.
Grand Central delay compensation policy
Delays of 1 to 2 hours
a free journey or 50% of the cost of a single ticket or 50% of the relevant portion of a return ticket.
Delays of 2 to 3 hours
a free journey or 75% of the cost of a single ticket or 75% of the relevant portion of a return ticket.
Delays over 3 hours
a free journey or 100% of the cost of a single ticket or 100% of the relevant portion of a return ticket.
Am I eligible for compensation?
If your Grand Central train is delayed by 60 minutes or more, you will be eligible for compensation.
How will I be paid?
- Compensation for delayed journeys is offered in the form of a free single journey, PayPal, BACs payment or Rail Travel Vouchers. Please detail which method of compensation you wish to receive using the text box in the form below.
- The levels of compensation described above sets out our general policy regarding compensation but do not in any way limit or exclude your legal rights as a consumer under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 or otherwise we offer compensation via:
Complimentary Grand Central single journey
We will send you a unique Grand Central complimentary ticket. These can be used on any Grand Central service in the class of travel of your original ticket. Tickets are valid for one year from the date of issue. Once issued these are not exchangeable for any other form of compensation.Once you have received your ticket and decided on a day of travel, please contact our Customer Relations team on 0345 603 4852 (option 4, then 1) in order to reserve your seat (subject to availability).
Compensation will be paid directly to your PayPal account, which can then be transferred to your bank account. Please ensure that the email address provided in the form is the same as your PayPal account email address.
We will refund you via BACs. To do this we will need your customer sort code, customer account number and account name.
Rail Travel Vouchers
We will send you vouchers by post, which can be exchanged for rail tickets at any station in Great Britain. Valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
- To process your request, we need information about your tickets. The easiest way to do this is via our online compensation form. Please complete the form within 28 days of the date of the delay. A readable, scanned copy or photograph of your ticket is required to make a claim.
- Our customer service team will respond as soon as possible and aim to reply within 10 working days. Should you have any difficulties completing the form, please call us on 0345 603 4852 (option 3, then option 1).
- If we are unable to respond to your correspondence or process your refund within 10 working days you will not be entitled to additional compensation.
- Click here to claim
- Alternatively, you can download our Compensation claim form (PDF) and post to us at the address below:
Customer Relations Manager
Grand Central Rail
PO Box 5871
- Did you buy your ticket from Grand Central?
- We are only able to view booking details for tickets that have been purchased through the Grand Central website or our telesales team. If you have booked via a third party, you will need to attach a copy of your ticket or booking confirmation in the 'Upload a copy of your ticket(s)' field in the claims form above.
Book with confidence - change at leisure
We know that sometimes plans change. That's why you can book with confidence knowing that if your plans change, you can change any ticket booked through Grand Central, without any fee. Simply contact our Customer Relations team.