Refunds & compensation
Refunds are for unused tickets - Compensation is for delays experienced for journeys you have taken
If you have already raised a request for a refund or Chartered Compensation, you do not need to contact us. Thank you for your continued patience and please bear with us while we process your case.
- You did not travel using your ticket, here is how to claim a refund
Advance tickets are non-refundable, unless the service they were valid for is cancelled, disrupted or amended and, as a result, you choose not to travel, you can receive a full refund from your point of purchase.
Purchases via Grand Central, you will need to provide your booking reference number (beginning B-GRANDCNTRL or MOTO) and a photograph of your tickets cut or torn in half to demonstrate they are invalid.
Amending your journey - If you purchased your tickets from Grand Central directly, please purchase the new journey you want to take either through the Grand Central Website or App before emailing both booking references to [email protected]. You can also call our Telesales team on 0345 603 4852 (option 4, then option 2). The ticket type and operator must remain the same to be eligible for an amendment and is subject to a £10.00 admin fee per ticket, per person.
Anytime, Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak tickets
- If you have purchased an Off-peak or Anytime ticket from grandcentralrail.com, you can refund your tickets without an admin fee via My Account (not available for e-tickets); by contacting our Refunds team via email at [email protected], attaching your booking reference number (begining B-GRANDCNTRL or MOTO) and a scanned copy of your tickets.
- Please make sure that your address is included in your e-mail when applying for a refund or compensation.
- If you bought your tickets from the Grand Central website, please follow the instructions above to process a refund. Alternatively send your original tickets to:
- Grand Central Refunds
- PO Box 6625
- DD11 3RQ
- You can also send a photograph of your tickets cut or torn in half to [email protected].
- Ticket refunds are subject to a 28 day time limit from date of travel.
- We would recommend you send the tickets recorded delivery, this is because we do not accept liability for lost or damaged tickets.
- If you have not received it after 10 working days, please contact the booking support team on option 3, then 2 using the above number.
- Please note the standard admin fee of £10 will be charged.
- You were delayed by 60 minutes or more, here is how to claim Charter Compensation
Please do not send postal requests to the Sheffield address. All post should be sent to Grand Central Railway Company Limited, Ground Floor, Wakefield Kirkgate Station, Monk Street, Wakefield, WF1 4EL.
You are entitled to claim compensation in line with our Passenger Charter and National Rail Conditions of Travel if you are delayed by 60 minutes or more on any of our services. The total amount of compensation will depend on the total length of your delay and also the type and cost of the ticket for your journey.
For compensation to be considered, your claim must be received by our Customer Relations team within 28 days of you completing the relevant journey. To process your request, we need information about your tickets and fellow passengers if you are claiming for more than one ticket.
Grand Central delay compensation policy
Delays of 1 to 2 hours
a free journey or 50% of the cost of a single ticket or 50% of the relevant portion of a return ticket.
Delays of 2 to 3 hours
a free journey or 75% of the cost of a single ticket or 75% of the relevant portion of a return ticket.
Delays over 3 hours
a free journey or 100% of the cost of a single ticket or 100% of the relevant portion of a return ticket.
Am I eligible for compensation?
If your Grand Central train is delayed by 60 minutes or more, you will be eligible for compensation.
How will I be paid?
- Compensation for delayed journeys is offered in the form of a free single journey, PayPal or BACs payment. Please detail which method of compensation you wish to receive using the text box in the form below.
- The levels of compensation described above sets out our general policy regarding compensation but do not in any way limit or exclude your legal rights as a consumer under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 or otherwise we offer compensation via:
Complimentary Grand Central single journey
We will send you a discount code for a replacement journey. These can be used on any Grand Central service in the class of travel of your original ticket. Codes are valid for six months from the date of issue and can only be redeemed on one single Grand Central ticket, starting or finishing your journey at London Kings Cross. Once issued these are not exchangeable for any other form of compensation.
Compensation will be paid directly to your PayPal account, which can then be transferred to your bank account. Please ensure that the email address provided in the form is the same as your PayPal account email address.
We will refund you via BACs. To do this we will need your customer sort code, customer account number and account name.
- Please note you can not request a refund by calling our customer service team, you will be referred back to the website.
- To process your request, we need information about your tickets. The easiest & quickest way is via our online compensation form. Please complete the form within 28 days of the date of the delay. A readable, scanned copy or photograph of your ticket is required to make a claim.
- Our customer service team will respond as soon as possible. You do not need to call us to chase your claim, thank you in advance for your patience. If you have any difficulties completing the online form, please call us on 0345 603 4852 (option 4, then option 1).
- If we are unable to respond to your correspondence or process your refund within 10 working days you will not be entitled to additional compensation.
- Alternatively, you can download our Compensation claim form (PDF) and post it, but this will take considerably longer to resolve than requesting it online. Please do not send your claim to the Sheffield address on the form. It must be posted to our Wakefield address below -
Customer Relations Manager
Grand Central Rail
Ground Floor, Wakefield Kirkgate Station,
Monk Street, Wakefield
- Did you buy your ticket from Grand Central? We can only view booking details for tickets which were purchased through the Grand Central website, app or our telesales team. If you have booked via a third party, you must attach a copy of your ticket or booking confirmation in the 'Upload a copy of your ticket(s)' field in the claims form above.
- View the National Rail Conditions of Travel