Extra daily train service to and from London Kings Cross from December
We are giving passengers and businesses more flexibility to travel between the North East, York and London from 10 December 2012 with the launch of an additional train service.
The service will give businesses more opportunities to strengthen their links with the capital, providing more scope for economic growth in the region. With convenient travelling times and a journey of just over two hours, the new service will increase accessibility to London by train for local companies, supporting commercial expansion and development.
We currently run four services a day between London, York and Sunderland. From December, an additional train will run each day between Hartlepool, York and London. On Saturdays, this train will extend to run to and from Sunderland so even more passengers can take advantage of this additional service.
The new service gives passengers more flexibility and another chance to experience Grand Central's extra legroom, free Wi-Fi and direct routes to London for less.
We have been working hard for some time to obtain these extra trains and have successfully demonstrated to the Office of Rail Regulation that these services will have a positive impact on rail users and local communities. While we are disappointed we can't offer this additional service to and from Sunderland during the week, we are working very closely with Network Rail to get this service extended in line with our other services from next year.
Passengers holding carnet tickets can use their tickets on the new services. The new trains are classed as Off-Peak, with great value Advance Purchase tickets available up to 12 weeks in advance.
Improvements at a glance
On the Northeastern service:
- On Monday to Fridays, the afternoon train will leave London 2 minutes later at 16.50 and reach Hartlepool 8 minutes earlier, reducing the journey time by 10 minutes
- There are faster journey times on a Saturday, with the first train now leaving London at 08.12 and getting into Sunderland 14 minutes earlier.
- Times are faster on Sundays, with one train completing the journey between London and Sunderland in just 3 hrs 18 mins
On the West Yorkshire service:
- On Monday to Fridays, the 19.48 King’s Cross to Bradford is will now leave London at 19.52. The journey time to Bradford will be 10 minutes quicker
- The 6.51 from Bradford will now arrive at 10.10 instead of 10.13.
- All trains will call at Mirfield and Wakefield Kirkgate
- On Sundays when there is no engineering work, trains to and from Bradford are an average of 5 minutes faster. Most trains complete the journey in 2 hrs 45 mins or less.