Vacancy reference: GC1609
Position: Buyer & Contract Manager
Grand Central is an open-access train operator linking the North East and West Yorkshire with London. We are part of Arriva which has a diverse portfolio of train and bus operating companies in the UK and Europe.
Grand Central runs 18 trains per day and is one of the UK’s leading train operators, as per the industry-wide National Rail Passenger Survey. We currently top Which Magazine’s customer survey with an overall score of 79%, the highest score achieved by a train company in the last five years.
Reporting into the finance team, the purpose of the Buyer and Contract Manager’s role is:
- To undertake, coordinate, plan and control the company’s buying and procurement activity.
- To manage contracts and support supplier relationship management.
- To represent the company on all Arriva group procurement projects and support the divisional team as and when required.
This is an exciting new role for the business and a great opportunity to make a very positive impact on the business. It offers an interesting mixture of buying, strategic procurement, contract management and engagement with the business and supply chain. It does require a hard worker and someone who can balance stationary one day and tendering for much larger station and train investments the next!
Please ask for the full job description before applying.
Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications & Training
- Working towards or already CIPS accredited;
- Practical buying experience and in running tenders;
- Organised person and a good facilitator;
- A hands on and proactive approach to work;
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Good communication skills (reports, emails, telephone, presentations);
- Friendly, approachable person comfortable working up, down and across a business;
- Ability to work independently and to meet tight deadlines;
- Capable of balancing a diverse workload and flexible to react to the business needs.
The role offers a competitive salary, and holiday entitlement, along with other benefits including optional health insurance; a defined contribution pension; and free travel on Grand Central and other Arriva UK rail services for staff and their family.
The role will involve regular UK and occasional international travel.
If you would like to take your career in a new and challenging direction please complete one of our application forms and email to Recruitment at email@example.com or print and post to Grand Central Railway Company Limited, Recruitment, 3rd Floor, Northern House, 9 Rougier Street, York, Y01 6HZ.
Closing date Sunday 9th October 2016
If you would like to submit an application speculatively, please complete the below form and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. No agencies or CVs please.