Student discount train tickets
We'll be back soon!
|Student discount information - April 2020|
|Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation we will be suspending the 25% student discount. All existing bookings will be honoured. Make sure to check back in the future when we'll have more exciting news to share!|
We know that when you're a student, saving money on things like travel can be very important to your budget.
Whether you are travelling back home during the holidays or venturing off for adventures during term time, you can save money on your student train tickets when you book with Grand Central.
Can I use my TOTUM card to save money on train tickets?
Yes! When you book directly with Grand Central and travel on a Grand Central service, you can get 25% off Advance train tickets using your TOTUM card (formally known as NUS extra card).
Simply visit our buy tickets page, enter your journey requirements and enter your TOTUM ID in the relevant box before you search. Your student discount will automatically be taken off the ticket prices that are shown.
Plus, if you sign up for a Grand Central account, your TOTUM ID will be remembered for all future bookings.
Just remember that if you are travelling in a group, only holders of the TOTUM card are able to receive the student train ticket discount. It’s fine for multiple people to travel together, but they will all need their own card.
Can I use my TOTUM card discount as well as my Railcard?
Yes, When you book Advance tickets with Grand Central, you can get your 25% TOTUM card discount, plus further savings with your Railcard, too.
This could mean savings of up to 50% off every train journey you take.
Just enter your Railcard alongside your TOTUM ID when searching for tickets on the book tickets page.
Are there any specific terms and conditions for my student discount train tickets?
The 25% discount is valid only when booking Advance train tickets used on Grand Central train services. The discount is not available if you are travelling with any other train operator, even if you book this via the Grand Central website.
If part of your journey is with Grand Central and another part with another train operator, then you must buy a valid ticket for that part of your trip.
All Advance tickets are subject to availability and cannot be bought from the station on the day of travel.
Check out our popular routes page to see where you could be travelling to next with Grand Central.
- NUS discount terms and conditions
- The 25% discount is available for Grand Central Advance train tickets only which are exclusively for use on Grand Central trains.
- The discount is not available against other train company tickets or other fare types.
- The Grand Central Advance train tickets will only be valid on the Grand Central network - the tickets will not be accepted by other train operators.
- If part of your journey is with another operator then you must buy a valid ticket for that part of the route.
- For details of the Grand Central network please visit: grandcentralrail.com.
- Grand Central Advance train tickets are subject to availability.
- Bookings with more than one Grand Central Advance train ticket will generate a 25% discount per ticket.
- The 25% discount is valid only for holders of NUS extra cards. If several passengers wish to take advantage of the discount, they must all be in posession of valid NUS extra cards.
- A valid NUS or Apprentice extra card number must be entered to be eligible for the discount.
- Grand Central Rail do not take responsibility for loss of NUS, Graduate or Apprentice extra cards and no discount will be available without a valid card number regardless of circumstances.
- The National Conditions of Travel apply for travel on all Grand Central trains, please see www.nationalrail.co.uk/nrcot for details.
- You must carry your NUS or Apprentice extra card with you on your journey and present it to rail staff on request.
- Grand Central reserve the right to withdraw this offer or amend these terms and conditions at any time without notice.
- The 25% discount is not available in conjunction with any other Grand Central offer. Railcards may be used.