Great value Advance fares
Advance train tickets offer our best value yet - tickets between London and any of our calling points in Yorkshire and the North East for less.
These fares are only available in advance of travel and there are a limited number for each service available, so make sure you book early.
Grand Central Advance train tickets are available up to 12 weeks in advance.
- Buy tickets online using the 'Find your train' panel on the left of this page.
- Call 0344 811 0071
If you can’t plan in advance or buy Advance train tickets, don’t worry. Our Fair Fares policy – charging the same price on board as you would have paid at a station ticket office – isn’t changing.
You will still be able to buy your ticket on board the train too without paying over the odds. Find our usual prices on our fares page.
Terms and conditions
Advance train tickets are single (one-way) tickets for selected journeys available in First Class and Standard, offering the best available price for each journey.
Tickets must be purchased in advance of travel. They are sold in limited numbers and so subject to availability.
- Standard: Child discounts, 16-25, Family & Friends, Senior, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcards discounts apply.
- First Class: Child discounts, 16-25, Senior, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcards discounts apply.
When and where the ticket can be used
- Tickets are valid ONLY on the date and train service(s) shown on the ticket(s).
- Where applicable, you must travel in the Class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s).
- Tickets may only be used on the services of the Train Company (or geographic route where applicable) shown next to ‘Route’ on the ticket.
- If the ‘Route’ also states ‘and Connections’, travel is allowed on appropriate connecting trains where shown on the ticket(s) or other valid travel itinerary.
- If the route is prefixed with a +, the ticket includes the cost of travelling across London on London Underground, Docklands Light Railway or First Capital Connect (Thameslink Route) services as appropriate to the journey.
Conditions of use
- You must be at the departure station shown on your ticket in good time to catch the train. If you miss the first train on which you are booked for any reason, a new ticket must be purchased.
- If delays occur while travelling, you will be allowed to take the next available train(s) to complete your journey.
- Railcard holders travelling on a discounted ticket must carry their Railcard when they travel. If a Railcard holder fails to produce a valid Railcard with their ticket, a new ticket must be purchased as if no Railcard and/or no ticket were held.
- First Class Advance tickets do not always grant access to First Class Lounges at stations. Please check with the train company you are travelling with to confirm policy at specific stations.
Break of journey
You may not start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station except to change to/from connecting trains as shown on the ticket(s) or other valid travel itinerary.
- Changing the time or date of travel
- Changes to time or date of travel must be arranged before departure of the first reserved train printed on the ticket, after which the ticket has no value and a new one must be purchased. You will need to present the ticket(s) and reservation(s) when you request a change.
- Changes to tickets cannot be made on-board the train. If you board a train without a ticket and reservation for that service, a new ticket must be purchased. Depending on the Train Company you are travelling with, you may be liable to a Penalty Fare if you board the train with an invalid ticket.
- The origin, destination and Train Company or route shown on the ticket(s) must remain the same.
- The difference between the price paid and cost of the next suitable fare for your journey is payable, plus a £10 administration fee per person, per single ticket for each change to a journey. If you change to a train on which a cheaper fare is available, the difference will not be refunded.
- Your ticket is non-refundable.
- If the train you purchased a ticket for is cancelled or delayed by more than 60 minutes, special arrangements will be made to accommodate you on another train (although a seat cannot be guaranteed). If, as a result, you decide not to travel, a refund will be offered on completely unused tickets and you will not be charged an administration fee.